Friday, March 12, 2010

My How Time Fly's

 You know when you are a kid, everything seems so unimportant. Take for example the value of a dollar. When you are a kid your concept of money is , " If  I want it I just ask my parents and they go get it for me."  If they ask and you tell them you don't have the money, they say ," just go get it out of the ATM." They really don't understand that you have to have money in there to get it out. I guess as parents we always want our kids to have it all. We buy them something and no sooner than they get it out of the sack, they are asking for the next item. They play with the new item for a day or so and then it is forgotten about.
 I think one thing I did wrong with my kids is getting them most everything they wanted. I always thought I would be a bad parent if I didn't get them everything they wanted. I want them to have the clothes that are in style and the latest gadgets and video games, but as I grow older , I realize I had the wrong concept of parenting and buying.
 I should have been teaching them that they needed to earn their money by doing chores. I should have been teaching them , it doesn't matter if you get the latest greatest game system, the one you have is fine. I should have been making them earn money and spending their money, but I didn't , so where does that leave me now??
 The answer is , I don't know. I don't think I can just all the sudden switch gears and change everything, maybe I need to do it gradually. I do know I need to change the way I handle finances, epically since I am unemployed.
 I guess I am going to work on teaching more responsibility , more discipline and more respect for others and parents. I know it is easy said, but can it be done. I guess it is what we call "tough love" but sometimes we have to suck it up and be the parent not the friend and the BANK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog